Full site editing will change how everyone uses themes,
-and how we build them.
What is full site editing?
Full site editing is a new WordPress feature that is under development.
With full site editing, blocks can be used to create entire sites.
Place blocks anywhere
Configure and style the site with Global Styles
Make changes to the site using the new Site Editor, and export your changes as a new WordPress theme
Use HTML and block markup to create templates and template parts
When will full site editing be available?
Originally, full site editing was planned to be included in WordPress with version 5.6 in December 2020. The release plan for 5.6 now states that the goal is that a public beta of full site editing will be available.
Full site editing is still in need of testing and feedback from developers and site creators. There is still time for theme developers to help influence how full site editing will work and to help improve it.
October status update
Development of a full site editing version of the next default theme, Twenty Twenty-One, will begin when the standard PHP based theme is stable.
Keep an eye open on this site and on the Github repo to learn when development of the FSE themes starts.
Learn about WordPress full site editing & block-based themes
Who is this course for?
This course is an overview created for theme authors who wants to learn about full site editing. -And If you have already been creating advanced custom blocks for a while and you are working on enterprise level WordPress projects; brilliant,
I probably don’t have much to new teach you here =D.
Please pick and choose from the lessons or articles that interests you.
Are there any prerequisites?
To make the most out of this course, you need to have basic knowledge of theme development. You need to know about basic WordPress functions, PHP, HTML and CSS (If you find that the course is too fast or too slow -let me know. It would only help me improve the course).
Currently, this course does not require registration, but if you want to keep track of your progress, you can register and enroll in the course.
Be notified when the full course is available
I have no set date for when the full course will be complete. It depends largely on the progress made to Gutenberg. And first the lessons will be reviewed for quality and correctness.
If you want to be notified when the full course is available, you can sign up for notifications here.
Frequently asked questions
- Do I need to know React to follow this course?
- Will you teach me how to build custom blocks?
- No, but there are lessons about custom block styles and block patterns.
- How long does the course take?
- The video material will be about 40 minutes, but there is also written material. You can take the course in bite sizes and you can continue when you want.
- Are the videos captioned?
- The videos are captioned and full transcripts including the code examples are available on each lesson page.
- What version of Gutenberg do I need?
- As Gutenberg is updated every two weeks, I recommend that you use the latest release. I try to keep the information in the lessons up to date.